potionandpoison: (d o s e)
Tonic ([personal profile] potionandpoison) wrote in [community profile] psychoshenanigans2019-12-03 10:09 am
Entry tags:

Scum & Villainy // Nev & Tonic



"Office hours are now," he'd joked. He had a feeling that Nev would take him up on it sooner or later... But it ends up being a lot closer to "sooner" than he would have guessed.

Tonic's room is surprisingly quiet. It's all the soft fabrics draped around, turning the usual rattling and echoing and whirring of the ship into distant thuds and a gentle humming. It's easy to feel like the room is actually private, which is either comforting or upsetting depending on the visitor. Tonic himself is sitting on the floor (there is nowhere else to sit), starting to pull together pieces for his newest project--but those are abandoned as soon as Nev makes an entrance.
thestarsmydeviation: (loora)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-03 06:35 pm (UTC)(link)
Nev walks into Tonic's room and stops, amused. "With all these pillows and no furniture, I feel like I'm back at the temple. Of course, they'd have to be rocks, not pillows, but it's basically the same thing." They hold out the bottle in their hand. "Here. The finest Nightfall Starberry hooch. Guaranteed to put hair on your feet or at least make me more comfortable."

After Tonic takes the bottle, Nev drops easily into a seated sprawl across a couple of cushions. "How do you want to do this? I'd request no fingernail removal or eye gouging, but if that's your thing, we can negotiate..." they pause, waiting to see how their joke is received.
thestarsmydeviation: (Default)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-03 06:49 pm (UTC)(link)
Nev clears their throat and continues quickly, "Right. Uh, what about a game? We take turns asking questions, At any time, one of us can refuse to answer, but that ends the game. We could request a different question, say, two times? but if the questioner refuses to ask a different one, that ends the game.

"Lies end the game immediately. I can tell if you lie, and I suspect you're pretty good at telling when someone isn't telling the truth, too. For what it's worth, I promise to answer your questions fully and truthfully, unless the answers would reveal secrets not mine to share. What do you think?"
thestarsmydeviation: (Default)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-03 06:57 pm (UTC)(link)
Nev smiles in return, pours a drink into a translucent, shallow glass that is almost a small bowl, and takes a sip, carefully maintaining their cool, amused expression with effort.

When they're sure their voice will be steady, Nev says, "Sorry. I was trying to figure out how to make this feel safe for everyone, to start. We can see how it goes." Another sip.

After a brief moment staring contemplatively into their glass, they ask, “Why do you want to know everyone’s secrets?”

They look up from the shimmery orange surface of their drink at Tonic’s face. Not disgusted, not curious or intrigued by the scars, nor gazing with pity or lust on the unmarred parts, just open. Listening.
Edited 2019-12-03 19:00 (UTC)
thestarsmydeviation: (Default)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-03 07:09 pm (UTC)(link)
Nev sets their drink down and flops backward onto more cushions, staring at the ceiling.

“No.” They pause, for longer than strictly necessary, and then continue, juvenile amusement coloring their words for just a moment. “I actually had thre- no, four...ish? in mind, but I always enjoy hearing people’s stories, so I could keep doing this as long as it’s fun or interesting for both of us.”

Nev’s hand reaches unerringly for their drink, neatly wedged between cushions. They raise the drink and start to bring it toward their head, while still lying on their back.

Tonic sees Nev’s hand pause and then hears grumbling, and Nev pops easily back up into a seated position, drink held almost casually, but without spilling a drop, despite the shallow glass. Nev tosses back a healthy swallow and winces.

“Why ‘Tonic’?”
thestarsmydeviation: (Default)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-03 09:59 pm (UTC)(link)
Nev sees Tonic relax a little and starts, a little guiltily. They gulp down the rest of their drink, cough a little, and then reach for the bottle to refill their glass, clearly buying a little time to think about how to answer.

"I'll answer that, but if you can be patient, I'll give you a couple for free. They're all related, anyway.

"Until I was an adult, I lived in a place with absolutely zero secrets. Everyone knew -- and constantly poked their noses into -- everyone else's business. That was obnoxious -- even as they professed that 'everyone needs to find their own Path,' they were telling you how you were doing it wrong.

"For the last twenty or so years, I've been mostly on my own. It's hard to know who to trust, and I've learned that letting people make their own assumptions about me lets me use those assumptions to my advantage. I feel like this --" they wave around at the bulkheads "is a good place for me to be for a while and I've already trusted everyone here to watch my back more than once, but...habits." They raise an eyebrow questioningly and let their hand fall.

Nev turns to stare casually at the vent near the ceiling covered by a hatch that appears to latch from both sides and grins. "I know about discarding names that no longer fit. If you haven't heard already, I was named Benevolence. The temple named everyone who entered with a virtue that person needed to practice most. Since I was found as an infant, they guessed, but maybe better than any of us knew..."

Snort. Drink.

"Maybe not. Anyway, I left because I felt that with a few notable exceptions, the place was filled with a bunch of holier-than-thou hypocrites paying lip service to ideals they never understood because they hadn't actually lived outside enough or because they did and were running from responsibility."

Drink.

"I wasn't kicked out, or banned, or anything seedy like that. Many of them felt it was the right thing for me to do. I'd either go out and find a better Path for myself and help some other people along the way, or I'd come back with my tail between my legs. Most of the rest of them were just happy to see me go.

"Since then, I've been traveling. Meeting people. Helping when I can, but mostly just living my life and seeking out mysteries and new experiences wherever I can. Someday, I'll get in a ship and just go. As far as I can, as fast as I can, and see what's on the far side of the stars."

Nev looks up, and clears their throat loudly, obviously embarrassed. "That's about the most I've talked about myself at once in at least a decade." They knock back the rest of their drink in one go and reach for the bottle again.

They start to say something, and then stop, clearly reconsidering. "Who are you most worried for on this bucket? Not worried about, mind you, worried for?"
Edited 2019-12-03 22:08 (UTC)
thestarsmydeviation: (Default)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-04 02:30 am (UTC)(link)
Nev smiles at him. "Thank you. I'm pretty comfortable right now." Indeed, they have settled back, semi-reclining, on a nest of pillows they've made.

"Go ahead and ask a question, if you'd like. You can owe me that answer whenever you have it."

Nev looks deep into Tonic's eyes. "I trust you." A wide grin slides onto their face.
Edited 2019-12-04 02:34 (UTC)
thestarsmydeviation: (Default)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-04 04:03 am (UTC)(link)
Nev's grin disappears, and they look back at Tonic, completely serious for a moment. "Oh. I know."

Nev pauses, thinking, and then their mouth twists slowly into an ironic smile and then broadens back into the same, open grin. "...but then, if you think about it, that's the real trick, isn't it?"
Edited 2019-12-04 04:04 (UTC)
thestarsmydeviation: (Default)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-04 05:14 pm (UTC)(link)
"I'm assuming that's just curiosity and not a capital-Q Question, but yes. I am, in fact," Nev gestures expansively at their reclined form, "drunk as a skunk, whatever that actually means. Schnockered, blotto, forbled beyond hope."

Despite their extensive proclamations, it's doubtful that anyone other than someone with Tonic's trained eye (or perhaps Ash's combat-experienced one) would notice much difference in Nev's movements, which are perhaps slightly less precise and more theatrical than usual. The amount of training and muscle control this betrays is impressive.

"Ask something else."
thestarsmydeviation: (Default)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-04 05:53 pm (UTC)(link)
"Rue." No hesitation. "Everyone else has obvious secrets, skeletons, shenanigans." (Definitely drunk.) "From everything I've figured out, she's a literal kid with nothing to hide. BUT she also has past lives. I worry that there's something none of us know about. I should ask Ash if they know more, now that we've come to something of an understanding."

Nev starts to ask another question. Pauses again. "Fine. Here's mine. What are the things you are worried I might ask about that you would prefer not to discuss? I'm enjoying this and I'd rather not waste either of our time or sour the mood. I also realize that answering this might be almost as bad, so if you want, I'll change my question without it counting against anything."
thestarsmydeviation: (Default)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-04 10:45 pm (UTC)(link)
"Favorite... Color? Is that something people DO?" Nev takes a drink and doesn't even change expression. "This tastes really good. That's... probably a bad sign."

"We always wore pretty neutral colors," they smirk and wave down at their black and grey outfit like a deep hole against Tonic's riotous decor, "and we were supposed to minimize distractions, so I've never had a favorite color. I just love seeing different colors and combinations wherever they appear, naturally, or not. Don't know if that's a fair answer or not, so I might owe you one.

"Hmm. What food have I probably never had that you think I should definitely try next time we're on Warren?"
thestarsmydeviation: (serious)

[personal profile] thestarsmydeviation 2019-12-05 05:53 pm (UTC)(link)
No hesitation. "Running out of options and having to go back to the temple, forever." Nev grins. "No fair! I've wanted to ask that a couple of times now, but I stopped myself. Now I need to come up with a better one. Hmm."

They stop talking abruptly and close their eyes. Just when Tonic starts to wonder if Nev has passed out, they ask, without opening their eyes, "What is the answer to the question I haven't asked yet that you wish I would?"
Edited 2019-12-05 18:11 (UTC)